We Run Societies

How to register a cooperative housing society in Maharashtra? What documents are required?

30 October 2014 Parag Solanki, Pune

Please advice process of registering a CHS in Pune, Maharashtra.

Do you also do society registration? Or, is the builder the only option for us for CHS registration?

Advice from society consultant

Add comment


Comments (9)

  1. Societyhive support
    30 October 2014

    Dear Parag,

    Yes, we can do the cooperative society registration for your complex. You don't really the builder but because much easier for all members if the builder does it as the builder has all the information already.

    Here are information on how to register and cooperative housing society, documents required and more:

    It is obligatory to apply for co-operative society or Association of Apartment within four months from the taking possession of galas by holders, necessary for forming the co-operative society or Association of Apartment according to provisions mentioned under section 10 of the Maharashtra Ownership Flat Act 1963 and rule 8 of Rules 1964 there under. While taking into consideration of these provisions it is necessary to make an application for getting permission for opening bank account by keeping the name of the proposed society reserve by the builder/promoters/chief promoter to the Registrar, co-operative societies in the concerned. It is necessary to make selection of the chief promoter in the primary meeting of the members. If not desire to work as Chief Promoter for some reason than in such situation, any member from the gala holder can be selected as a Chief Promoter. However while submitting proposal it is necessary to submit consent letter that builder promoters are ready to co-operate for the work of registering the society. Following papers are necessary for submitting the proposal for getting permission for opening the bank account.

    1. Application for opening the bank account by reserving the name of the proposed society in the prescribed format. (On adhesive court fee stamp of Rs.2/-)

    2. Copy of the minutes of primary meeting (in the prescribed format)

    3. Photo copy of the sell deed/development agreement executed between the original owner of the land and builder promoter.

    4. Photo copy of the 7/12 extract or the property registered card.

    5. Photo copy of the power of attorney if given to the builder, promoter by the original owner.

    6. Copy of the order form competent office under Urban Land Ceiling Act 1976.

    7. Detailed scheme of the proposed society and its nature

    8. List of the proposed members.

    It is necessary to submit the proposal for official registration within three months of the date of getting permission for opening bank account by reserving the name of the proposed society for registration. If for some inevitable reasons, it was not possible to submit the registration proposal in the prescribed time limit then it is necessary to submit an application for extension of time limit for submitting the proposal of registration by the Chief Promoter.

    more information below...

  2. Societyhive support
    30 October 2014

    The chief promoter must submit:

    1. Application for registration in the prescribed format under rule 4(1) of the Maharashtra Co-operative Societies Rules 1961-Form A (Annexure A)

    2. Form-B : Information of proposed society (In prescribed format)

    3. Form-C : Information of Promoter Members

    4. Form-D : Accounts statement (In prescribed format)

    5. Detailed scheme of the proposed societies and its nature.

    6. Balance statement of saving accounts in the Pune District Central Co-operative Bank (Share Capital of Rs.500 and in addition Admission fee of Rs.100/- of each promoter member and its total amount)

    7. Original chalan of payment of Rs.25,00/- as a co-operative housing societies registration fee paid in the Government Treasury.

    8. A photo copy of the sell deed or Development agreement executed between original land owner and builder/promoters.

    9. Photo copy of the 7/12 extract or property registration card.

    10. Photo copy of the Power of Attorney given to the builder promoters by the original land lord.

    11. Photo copy of the NOC from the Charity Commissioner if the land is of Public Trust.

    12. A photo copy of the land search report or title certificate from the advocate.

    13. Photo copy of the order issued by the competent officer under Urban Land Ceiling Act.

    14. True copy of the construction lay out approved by the Municipal Corporation.

    15. Photo copy of the permission for commencing construction or of completion certificate issued by the Municipal Corporation.

    16. Architect certificate endorsing to the construction of the building of the proposed society.

    17. Minimum 10 persons affidavit on the stamp paper of Rs.20 (individual)

    18. Guarantee letter of the Chief Promoter on the stamp paper of Rs.20/- in the prescribed format registered before the competent officer.

    19. Guarantee letter of the builder promoters on the stamp paper of Rs.20/- in the prescribed format ā€˜Zā€™ registered before the competent officer and in accordance with that information in A B C D Table.

    Table A : number of gala sale, name to whom it sale, area of the gala and its price.
    Table B : number of gala not sold and its area.
    Table C : Name of the person to whom the gala was sold and total amount received from him.
    Table D : Details of the expenditure, name of the person to him gala was sold, amount of the share capital, amount of the admission fee and price of the gala.

    20. A photo copy of the registered agreement executed between the builder promoters and gala holder.

    21. A photo copy of the receipt of the payment made in respect of the registration fee of the gala and stamp duty of the promoter members mentioned in the application made for registration.

    22. The signature of the minimum 10 promoter members at the end of model bye laws no 175 is necessary.

  3. Societyhive support
    30 October 2014

    You can read the "Maharashtra Cooperative Societies Rules, 1961" online at following URL:

    The "Co-operative Housing Society Manual 2012 - English" is online at following URL:

    For all cooperative society documents visit:

  4. Vishal Dedhia
    27 January 2016

    How to get a particular registered society's Bye Laws other than from the Society it self. Please tell me the procedure of the same.

  5. Ranjeet Bhave
    17 December 2016

    Dear Team,

    Please let me know when can a housing co-operative society be formed/registered.

    Fact: The property is is governed by Kalyan-Dombivli Muncipal Corporation. There is a building with 28 flats. 5/6 flats are unsold as of today. The builder has received Completion Certificate in November-2014 and he started giving possession letter on or after January 2015.


    1. After how many flats sold by builder a society can be formed by existing members
    2. Can a society be formed before issuance of O.C.

  6. confidential
    03 February 2017

    Hello Team,
    I am living in society of 78 flat in Marunji Pune,
    builder and land owner are not forming the society.90% possession of flats are given..
    Kindly let me know how can we form the society by ourself?

  7. Kushaba Kisan Dabhade
    24 February 2017

    Dear Sir,

    We are group of 10 having 2 gunthas open plot in kharabwadi, chakan, pune. We want 1RK for each in this plot.

    We are very poor peoples. We dont have own house to live. So we want to construct it. We want make society of 10 peoples & construct. So advise us

  8. S K Verma
    27 January 2018

    if we have registered apartment condominium and now wish to register it with MSCHS then what is to be done.

  9. Sridhar Shetty
    02 May 2018

    If there is only three members are the occupants in the building, Can we form a Co-Op Hsg Society ? Please Advice

  10. Disclaimer: We are providing this information as a public service. We try to make it accurate as of the date noted in the materials. Sometimes the laws change. We cannot promise that this information is always up-to-date and correct. You should consult your lawyer or contact our legal advisers and get into greater detail before taking legal action.